1. The National Center on Addiction and Substance Abuse at Columbia University, Malignant Neglect: Substance Abuse and America’s Schools (2001).
2. National Center for Health Statistics, Health, United States, 2009: with a Special Feature on Medical Technology (Hyattsville, MD, 2010).
3. Ali Mokhad and others, “Actual Causes of Death in the United States 2000,” JAMA 291 no. 10 (2004): 1238-1245.
4. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, 2009 Youth Risk Behavior Survey Results (2010).
5. Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration, Results from the 2008 National Survey on Drug Use and Health: National Findings (Office of Applied Studies, NSDUH Series H-36, HHS Publication No. SMA 09-4434) (Rockville, MD: 2009).
6. Keith Zullig and others, “Testing the Feasibility of Developmental Asset Measures on College Students to Guide Health Promotion Efforts, Assessment 16, no. 1 (2009): 31-42.
7. Heron, M.P., Hoyert, D.L., Murphy, S.L., Xu, J.Q., Kochomek, K.D., & Tejada-Vera, B. (2009). Deaths: Final Data for 2006. National Vital Statistics Reports, 57 (14). Hyattsville, MD: National Center for Health Statistics.
8. Leslie Morrison Gutman,, Jacquelynne S. Eccles, Stephen Peck & Oksana Malanchuk. The Influence of Family Relations on Trajectories of Cigarette and Alcohol Use From Early to Late Adolescence (2010). Journal of Adolescence article in press.